Map Of The District Round Littleton
hover the cursor over image to pan/zoom, or click the image to view a larger version
click here to view a large version in a separate window
An interesting and scarce map centred on the town of Somerton, which, during the fourteenth century, was the county town of Somerset. The map extending from Glastonbury to Ilchester appeared originally in the Reverend W. Phelps' 'The History and Antiquities of Somersetshire'. Some think the county name itself may have originated from the Anglo Saxon name of 'Sumurstaeun'.
mapmaker: Rev. W. Phelps
place and date of publication: London 1836
medium and colour: copperplate, Uncolouredref: 27685
size in mm: 210 by 125mm (8.25 by 5 inches).
Price: £ 80£ 40
return to English County Maps L-Y