hover the cursor over image to pan/zoom, or click the image to view a larger version
click here to view a large version in a separate window
An attractive map of Berkshire with a vignette view of St. George's Chapel in Windsor. James Pigot started his career as an engraver for "Dean's Manchester Directory", but later set up his own business publishing the "London And Provincial New Commercial Directory". For the third edition of 1827, a number of maps were added. In 1830, these maps were separately published in "Pigot & Co's British Atlas Of The Counties Of England ...", which was reprinted until 1857. The maps themselves were printed from steelplates, apparently the first county maps to be produced in this way, and are finely engraved and decorated.
place and date of publication: London 1830
medium and colour: steel plate, Original colourref: 32387
size in mm: 230 x 355
Price: £ 120£ 84
return to English County Maps B-K