Map Of The County Palatine Of Chester
hover the cursor over image to pan/zoom, or click the image to view a larger version
click here to view a large version in a separate window
A finely engraved and very detailed map by Christopher and John Greenwood. Immensely detailed with attractive vignettes of major buildings in the county town, this map is from a series which marked a new standard in British mapmaking. Coinciding with the advent of the Ordnance Survey, this series defines the new approach to cartography as a precise science but still retains the charm of the late Georgian period. Christopher and John Greenwood were one of the last private firms to undertake the large-scale mapping of England and Wales, producing many fine multi-sheet county maps from their own survey work as well as these attractive atlas maps. The atlas maps are most frequently found in attractive, full-wash colour across the body of the map, and are distinguished by their precise detail, finely scrolled lettering and vignette views of notable buildings within each county.
mapmaker: C. & J. Greenwood
place and date of publication: London 1834
medium and colour: steel plate, Original colourref: 34782
size in mm: 580 by 680mm (22.75 by 26.75 inches).
return to English County Maps B-K