Carlile In Anglia
hover the cursor over image to pan/zoom, or click the image to view a larger version
click here to view a large version in a separate window
An attractive miniature map of Carlisle by Daniel Meisner originally from the "Thesaurus Philo-Politicus" whose publication was begun in Frankfurt in 1623. Those maps showing towns of the British Isles appeared from 1626 when Eberhard Kieser and Johann L Gottfried took over after Meisner's death. With the number G47 (alphanumerics were added to a reprint) in the upper right corner this particular example is from the later Nuremberg reprint of 1637 or later in "Sciographia Cosmica". The miniature bird's-eye view is surmounted by a Latin motto at the top of the page and German and Latin verse beneath the map. A gardener stands with watering can in the foreground.
place and date of publication: Nuremberg 1626-1637
medium and colour: copperplate, Uncolouredref: 36645
size in mm: 100 x 145
literature: King, Miniature Antique Maps (Second Edition), pp.104.
Price: £ 260£ 156
return to English County Maps B-K