Penbrochia Comitatus Et Comitatus Caermaridunum
hover the cursor over image to pan/zoom, or click the image to view a larger version
click here to view a large version in a separate window
Cardigan to Llanethly. This attractive map of Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire was published in "Guil. et Ioannis Blaeu Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, sive Atlas Novus - Part IV", Amsterdam, Joan Blaeu, 1645, 1646. The map includes the towns of St Davids, Newport and Haverfordwest, as well as Pembroke and Carmarthen. Across the top of the map are the coats of arms of local families and the royal arms are also shown. The title cartouche at lower right is flanked by cherubim and is decorated with fish, sheep and cows indicating the produce of the region. "The finest Dutch map publishers were the Blaeu family, and they hold the title of mapmakers supreme for any period of cartographical history." (R. Baynton-Williams, "Investing in Maps"). Willem Janszoon Blaeu (1571-1638) was the founder of the Blaeu publishing house and established the fine reputation of Blaeu maps. In 1634 he commenced publication of the "Theatrum Orbis Terrarum" or "Novus Atlas" and on his death he was succeeded by his son Johannes (1596-1673). Johannes continuously enlarged and updated the "Theatrum" up to 1658, including adding a separate volume devoted to England and Wales. In turn, the "Theatrum" was itself expanded to form the magnificent "Atlas Maior". Blaeu maps are renowned for the consummate care and attention apparent in every stage of production - using only the best paper with finely engraved plates and a high standard of printing. The county maps are no exception and often depict the coats of arms of those families with important county links, as well as decorative title cartouches.
region: Wales Maps & Charts
mapmaker: J. Blaeu
place and date of publication: Amsterdam 1645-1648
medium and colour: Copperplate, Colouredref: 39015
size in mm: 420 by 550mm (16.5 by 21.75 inches).
Price: £ 350
return to Wales Maps & Charts