Map of the County of Cambridge From an Actual Survey
hover the cursor over image to pan/zoom, or click the image to view a larger version
click here to view a large version in a separate window
A finely engraved and very detailed map by Christopher and John Greenwood. Immensely detailed with attractive vignettes of major buildings in the county town, this map is from a series which marked a new standard in British mapmaking. Coinciding with the advent of the Ordnance Survey, this series defines the new approach to cartography as a precise science but still retains the charm of the late Georgian period. Large and ornately lettered with beautiful vignette of Ely Cathedral, engraved by Walker and Richards. Detailed Explanation notes include' Boundaries of Hundreds and Liberties', villages, turnpike roads and toll bars, castles and priories, canals, railways, parks and pleasure grounds, wind and water mills and rivers and brooks. More than fifteen different typefaces have been used to distinguish a huge number of different and interesting features. The ornate border shows the Meridian of Greenwich.
mapmaker: C. & J. Greenwood
place and date of publication: London 1834
medium and colour: steel plate, Colouredref: 41505
size in mm: 570 by 710mm (22.5 by 28 inches).
Price: £ 280£ 168
return to English County Maps B-K