A New Map Of The County of Cumberland
hover the cursor over image to pan/zoom, or click the image to view a larger version
click here to view a large version in a separate window
This is the second, 1808, edition of Smith's map of Cumberland. The map is thoroughly detailed and includes good information regarding the turnpike and mail roads as well as distances between market towns and also the canal network. Original outline and wash colour defines the county's hundreds which are also listed in a numbered key. The map first appeared in Smith's "New English Atlas Being A Complete Set of County Maps". Smith was a stationer and mapseller working in the Strand, London, from about 1800 onwards and continued the standard set by John Cary for precise, detailed maps, finely produced and without the embellishments of the previous century. The maps from his county atlas set a new standard for their presentation and execution with the skilful fashion in which the wealth of cartographic detail has been compressed into the folio sheet. These maps justly met with great commercial success, being re-issued in atlas form and as folding maps into the 1860's. With attractive colour the map has light, but negligible, centrefold discolouration.
mapmaker: C. Smith
place and date of publication: London 1804 - 1808
medium and colour: Copperplate, original colourref: 41834
size in mm: 500 by 440mm (19.75 by 17.25 inches).
Price: £ 160£ 112
return to English County Maps B-K