Guildhall & entrance to the Markets. Bath
hover the cursor over image to pan/zoom, or click the image to view a larger version
click here to view a large version in a separate window
Small and quaint engraving of the Guildhall in Bath. The current Bath stone building, designed by Thomas Baldwin, was built between 1775 and 1777 and extended by John McKean Brydon in 1893. The central facade has four Ionic columns and the building is surmounted by the figure of Justice. (clearly shown in this engraving). The central dome (not shown here) and the north and south wings were added in 1893 and form a contiguous building with the Victoria Art Gallery, which was also built around the same time.
mapmaker: R. Woodroffe
place and date of publication: Bath c. 1880
medium and colour: Steelplate, Uncolouredref: 44301
size in mm: 70 by 85mm (2.75 by 3.25 inches).
Price: £ 40£ 20
return to English County Maps L-Y