Maps by Claudius Ptolemy
Claudius Ptolemy (87-150) was an Egyptian astronomer and geographer living and studying in Alexandria. Alexandria was not only the home of the greatest library of any period, but was also one of the most important trade centres between west and east - here Ptolemy could not only study ancient authorities, but could also consult contemporary travellers and merchants. From this wealth of accumulated knowledge, Ptolemy composed his “Geographia”, a work of considerable genius, which “dominated the whole of the Christian and Moslem world for 1,500 years” (Tooley).
- 1477 the first edition with maps. Copper engravings.
- 1482- Ulm Ptolemy. The first edition printed north of the Alps, with four modern maps added. Printed from woodblocks.
- 1513- Published by Martin Waldseemuller, incorporating 20 new maps, including the second map to focus on the discoveries of the New World. Woodblocks.
- 1522- Illustrated with woodblocks cut by Laurent Fries, careful reductions of Waldseemuller’s maps.
- 1540- Sebastian Munster’s issue of Ptolemy’s maps; subsequently re-issued in a variety of books of classical geography -attractive woodblocks.
- 1548- The first Italian text edition, the first miniature edition in copperplate of Ptolemy’s Geography, including several new maps by Gastaldi.
- 1561- Gastaldi’s maps re-issued, in a slightly larger format, by Ruscelli and Valgrisi in Venice.
- 1578- the first issue of Mercator’s version of Ptolemy’s maps - intended as a companion to his Atlas of the Modern World. Numerous re-issues. For the 1698 edition, the plates were re-worked, substituting a new cartouche within the map, containing a second title.
Europe Maps Africa Maps Asia Maps British Isles Maps
By Cl.Ptolemy / G.Mercator of Amsterdam, 1578-1704, Copperplate, coloured, 355 x 455 mm
Price: £ 350£ 210
By Cl. Ptolemy / G. Mercator of Amsterdam, 1578-c.1700, copperplate, coloured, 335 by 460mm (13.25 by 18 inches). mm
Price: £ 200£ 120
By Cl. Ptolemy / G. Gastaldi of Venice, 1548, copperplate, uncoloured, 130 by 170mm (5 by 6.75 inches). mm
By Cl. Ptolemy / G. Mercator of Amsterdam, 1578-1618, copperplate, coloured, 345 by 490mm (13.5 by 19.25 inches). mm
Price: £ 2250£ 1350
By C. Ptolemy / L. Fries of Lyon, 1522-1535, woodblock, uncoloured, 300 by 415mm (11.75 by 16.25 inches). mm
Price: £ 400£ 240
By Cl. Ptolemy / L. Holle of Ulm, 1482-1486, woodblock, original colour, 300 by 400mm (11.75 by 15.75 inches). mm
Price: £ 7200£ 4320
By Cl. Ptolemy / N. Germanus of Rome, 1478-1490, Copperplate, coloured, 390 by 550mm (15.25 by 21.75 inches). mm
Price: £ 3800£ 2280
By C. Ptolemy / L. Fries of Strassbourg, 1522-1525, woodblock, uncoloured, 290 by 410mm (11.5 by 16.25 inches). mm
Price: £ 1200£ 720
By C. Ptolemy / G. Ruscelli of Venice, 1561-1564, copperplate, uncoloured, 185 by 250mm (7.25 by 9.75 inches). mm